Soho was brought to a halt yesterday as hazmat teams scoured the area looking for the source of noxious fumes that were killing hundreds of residents. Sorry: did I say were killing hundreds of residents? I meant smelled kinda bad.
Yes; having evacuated the area and cordoned it off, emergency responders wearing breathing equipment heroically burst through the door of a Thai restaurant to find a rather bewildered chef stirring a large pot of chilli dip. With some confusion, the chef said he could understand why people who weren’t Thai wouldn’t recognise the smell, but that it didn’t smell like chemicals. This is eminently sensible, but in a world where my housemate’s farts send people running for cover, a little naive.
Still, we have something to be thankful for: as Bruce Schneier points out, had this been in the US, the authorities would have found something — anything — to charge the chef with, lest they look like fools. Here in the UK, we’re positively used to the Police twatting things up in an amusing fashion: life wouldn’t be the same without it.